Accounts can become stopped or invalid due to the refresh token or the password being invalid.
Basic password (Outlook / Hotmail accounts).
- If the account continuously goes invalid after logging in:
- Enable 2FA on your MS account
- Or you can use APP passwords
Refresh tokens (OAuth accounts / O365) can be invalidated by several events such as:
- User's password has changed since the refresh token was issued.
- An administrator can apply conditional access policies that restrict access to resources.
To determine what is causing tokens to be revoked the mail administrator needs to:
- If using O365 / Azure, go to Monitor > Logins - this will inform them why access was revoked.
- Typically there will be a conditional access policy. Ask the mail admin to create a policy for your application that is NOT restrictive and has long session timeouts.
Troubleshooting why an account has stopped or invalid
Microsoft article regarding refresh tokens
Please sign in to leave a comment.